Search This Blog

Friday, May 2, 2014

Her Father’s Funeral (an unfinished poem)

This poem is unfinished.  It's a recent piece and will likely be revised many times before I am satisfied that it's finished.  But I wanted to share it anyway.



Her Father’s Funeral

She waited until the crowd had gone
The backhoe was filling in the grave
She asked the old man if she could have a minute please
And he agreed
She dropped the witch bottle into the half-filled grave
With a small bunch of lilies tied with black string
She nodded to the old man
And he began filling in the grave again
And she walked away
Walked away free

2 comments:

  1. For your sake, I hope he is dead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't know. I haven't had any contact with him in a long time. Since I'm not in touch with any family members anymore, I have no idea what he is up to or if he is still alive. It is possible my sister would call me if he died but it's also possible she wouldn't. It doesn't really matter, in terms of my life, whether he is dead or alive.

      Delete